Summary of duties
Expression of Interest
AUPE is expanding its inventory of qualified candidates to fill short and long-term Membership Services Officer temporary relief that may arise from time to time at our North and South Regions.
The salary (MSO) and benefits are per the Collective Agreement between AUPE and AULReP. Experience in mobilization, direct action and external organizing are considered an asset. Member engagement and strike experience would also be considered an asset.
The job description can be found here and outlined below.
If interested, please submit your cover letter and resume, as one PDF document, referencing job ID 23-01, to email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until suitable candidates have been identified.
The Membership Service Officer position is a responsible position where Labour Relations assignments are performed in areas identified by AUPE. The focus includes, but is not limited to, providing labour relations services to existing members (i.e. grievance handling, contract interpretation, Local/Chapter administration), presenting AUPE sponsored education courses to the membership and assisting in collective bargaining as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Political Science or a related field would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of labour legislation and Collective Agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and relate to staff, membership, media, the public and outside organizations.
- Demonstrated organizational, writing, research, communication and interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- Ability to deal effectively with co-workers, members and others under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work against specific deadlines and be able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to exercise tact and judgment.
- Ability to display the attributes of self-motivation and individual initiative.
- Having background knowledge of the labour movement in general, and AUPE in particular, is an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence.
- Previous: At least two (2) years of previous experience is needed, preferably in a Union setting.
- On the Job: Nine (9) months on the job to become familiar with the filing system, database, computer systems, related programs/software, and AUPE policies and procedures.
- Monitor, advise on and enforce members’ rights and entitlements contained in various Collective Agreements.
- Monitor, advise on and enforce members’ rights and entitlements on WCB, Return to Work, Duty to Accommodate, Occupational Health & Safety and other employee related issues.
- Assist and advise Local/Chapter Officers in carrying out their duties.
- Assist in the development and delivery of AUPE services for the membership.
- Assist Locals/Chapters and members, as required, in a variety of areas.
- Assist in the presentation of courses sponsored by the Union.
- Assist Union Representatives assigned to Negotiations in Collective Bargaining, when assigned to do so.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent to the job.
Any revisions of the job description must be approved by the Executive Director.
AUPE is the largest public sector union in Alberta and represents approximately 103,200 jobs across the province in four sectors including: health care, education, government services, and agencies, boards and commissions. AUPE represents roughly:
- 20,800 direct employees of the Alberta provincial government;
- 68,400 health care employees at public, private, and not-for-profit health care providers, this includes auxiliary nursing care employees and the general support services employees of Alberta;
- 10,800 in the education sector, who work in support roles at fifteen post-secondary institutions and three school boards across Alberta; and
- 3,200 boards, agencies, and commissions employees who work for a variety of mostly public sector employers like municipal governments.
AUPE is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide a supportive and respectful environment, free of bias, where each employee feels valued. Together our opinions, strengths, experiences, and diverse backgrounds ensure full and equal participation for all in our community.