Date and time
Calgary Regional Office
200, 2116 27 Avenue NE
Calgary, AB, T2E 7A6
About this event
This is a two-day course. The course is also offered online.
This introductory course provides an overview of health and safety in the workplace, with a special focus on the safety rights of workers. We review some history of health and safety issues, laws, the internal responsibility system, hazard identification and AUPE support.
You will learn about assessment tools and gain confidence in contributing towards a culture of safety in the workplace. You will also leave the course with access to valuable resources to continue learning about OHS.
This course is for: Members interested in gaining a basic understanding of Occupational Health and Safety.
Prerequisites: Introduction to Your Union
This course utilizes:
- Exercises using legislation
- Case studies
- Group discussion
- Reflect on the historical events and issues that led to legislation in occupational health and safety
- Recognize the different between the OHS Act, Regulation and Code, as well as other legislation
- Examine the Internal Responsibility System as it pertains to responsibilities of the Employer and Worker
- Describe workplace injuries and how they are associated to hazards
- Evaluate hazard controls as they pertain to workplace hazard identification and assessments
- Examine the intent of workplace injury reporting and the reality of under reporting