Summary of duties
Please be advised that an Organizer position is available with an initial work assignment at Edmonton Headquarters. The salary and benefits are as per the Collective Agreement between AUPE and AULReP. Experience in mobilization, direct action and external organizing are considered an asset. Member engagement and strike experience would also be considered an asset.
The job description can be found here and outlined below.
Anyone interested should forward their application with a resume outlining their related skills, knowledge, experience, and other relevant attributes, preferably by e-mail, no later than Tuesday, December 21, 2021, at 4:30 pm to Employee Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Organizer position is a responsible position where internal and external organizing assignments are performed in areas identified by AUPE. The focus includes, but is not limited to, providing organizing services to existing members, Locals/Chapters, Area Councils and Community organizing and providing information on AUPE, assisting with applications for certification, and presenting AUPE sponsored educationals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Political Science or a related field would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of labour legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and relate to staff, membership, media, the public and outside organizations.
- Demonstrated organizational, writing, research, communication and interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- Ability to deal effectively with co-workers, members and others under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work against specific deadlines and be able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to exercise tact and judgment.
- Ability to display the attributes of self-motivation and individual initiative.
- Having background knowledge of the labour movement in general, and AUPE in particular, is an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence.
- Previous: At least two (2) years of previous experience is needed, preferably in a Union setting.
- On the Job: Nine (9) months on the job to become familiar with the filing system, database, computer systems, related programs/software, and AUPE policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Union’s organizing strategy.
- Develop a list of contacts at worksites where potential organizing drives exist.
- Assist in the recruitment and training of members to act as Organizing Committee members.
- Coordinate, plan and execute organizing initiatives throughout the Province in cooperation with other Union staff and members.
- Consult and assist in the filing of related applications (certification, successor rights, unfair labour practice complaints, etc.) to appropriate Labour Boards (LRB and CLRB).
- Assist Union counsel, when required, at related Labour Board hearings associated with organizing projects.
- Assist Union Representatives assigned to Negotiations, when required, for negotiating first collective agreements for newly organized units.
- Possess a working knowledge of Union policies, legislation, regulations, Labour Board Policies and Procedures and Collective Agreements.
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- Effectively communicate with members and prospective members and instill confidence in retaining and recruiting membership in AUPE.
- Assist and advise Local/Chapter Officers in carrying out their duties.
- Assist in the development and delivery of AUPE services for the membership.
- Assist Locals/Chapters and members, as required, in a variety of areas.
- Coordinate and assist on AUPE promotional opportunities.
Essential Service Agreement Liaison
- Provide labour relations services in relation to essential services (ie. liaising with employers and members, gathering data and information relating to the Essential Services Agreement (ESA).
- Collect, organize, analyze information relevant to essential services.
- Liaise extensively with frontline members and employers in relations to essential services.
- Assist the ESA lead as assigned.
- Social Media Organizer
- Create, modify, publish and share content that builds meaningful connections with AUPE members and allies, in support of the union’s overall priorities, objectives and initiatives.
- Engage productively in timely two-way conversations with members and the public that accessibly and accurately reflects the up-to-date position(s) of AUPE.
- Monitor, moderate and manage AUPE's online and social networking platforms and overall digital presence.
- Collaborate with various departments to source and generate content ideas.
- Facilitate online and in-person training sessions and provide members with technical/content support.
- Facilitate courses and other educational programming sponsored by the union.
- Facilitate worksite presentations on various topics.
- Facilitate improved union presence at worksites by providing educational opportunities that support bargaining and mobilizing efforts.
- Assist Union Representatives assigned to Negotiations in Collective Bargaining, when assigned to do so.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent to the job.
Any revisions of the job description must be approved by the Executive Director.