Tentative agreement reached with employer
During three days of negotiations, the parties were able to reach a settlement on all of the outstanding items in the current round of negotiations.
Along with the improvements reported in our previous update, we were able to make several other positive changes to the agreement in both non-monetary and monetary articles.
Members will vote on this tentative agreement on Aug. 29, 2019. We will be holding two general membership meetings (11 a.m. and 7 p.m.) to convey information about the settlement and answer any questions.
Following each of the information meetings, we will conduct voting on the tentative agreement.
Meetings and voting will take place at the Lethbridge AUPE office at 203, 1921 Mayor Magrath Drive S.
The following list is an overview of the changes agreed to in the most recent negotiations:
Article #1 Term of the Agreement: Two-year term ending March 31, 2021.
Article #8 Respectful Workplace: Changes to the article to include definitions of harassment, bullying, sexual harassment and violence, along with a better explanation of the complaint process. Discrimination language to be updated to be consistent with legislation.
Article #13 Overtime: Effective on the date of ratification, all overtime worked will be paid at two times the basic rate of pay.
Article #15 Shift/Weekend Differential: Effective April 1, 2019, night-shift differential increases to $4.50 per hour.
Article #16 Premiums: Increase Charge Pay to $1.50 per hour and include new language for Temporary Assignment Pay.
Article #19 Vacations: Change to the accrual rate for three groups of employees:
• 1-4 years of service is now 1-3 years of service;
• 11-19 years of service is now 11-15 years of service; and
• 20 years of service and over is now 16 years of service and over.
Also, the employer will now post two vacation planners, on March 1 and Sept. 1.
Article #20 Benefits: Effective Jan. 1, 2020, cost share will change to 75% employer, 25% employee.
Also on Jan. 1, 2020:
• Dental coverage will increase to $2,000 per year for Basic and Extensive services;
• Massage Therapist/Physiotherapist/Chiroprator will increase to $600 per year and Psychologist to $800 per year.
Effective on April 1, 2020:
• Health Spending will increase to $600 per year. In addition the employer will not be able to make changes to the benefit provider or coverage without consultation with the union.
Article #26 Layoff and Recall: Notice period for layoff increased to 28 days and improvements to severance pay, now two weeks for each year of service up to a maximum of 16 weeks.
Article #31 Professional Fees: Professional College licensing fees increased to a maximum of $300.
Article #35 Registered Retirement Savings Plan: Jan. 1, 2020, employer contributions to RRSP will increase by $5 bi-weekly for employees with 1-5 years of service and 5-10 years of service. New RRSP contibution of $45 bi-weekly for employees with greater than 10 years of service.
• Year 1, April 1, 2019, to March 31, 2020: 1% increase for all classifications; and
• Year 2 April 1, 2020, to March 31, 2021: Wage re-opener subject to arbitration should the parties be unable to reach an agreement.*
Your negotiations team is recommending acceptance of the tentative agreement.
Choices in Community Living (Legacy Lodge) negotiation team:
Carolyn Schmidt-Luff, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy James, email@example.com
Marilyn Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicole Hoetmer (ALT), email@example.com
AUPE support staff:
Dale Perry, Negotiator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Farris Sobhani, Organizer, email@example.com
Terry Inigo-Jones, Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org